I've been so impressed with Kubuntu that I'm installing Kubuntu 11.04 on my DELL Inspiron 6400 - the installation process worked flawlessly, but, once I'd restarted my machine, I couldn't log in!
Taking a couple of deep breaths and bringing my mounting panic under control, I realized that I had to select a desktop to log into! Below the user name & password dialog boxes, there are two buttons (one to shutdown the machine, and another to select a desktop session): the three options are default, plasma, and failsafe. Selecting the Plasma option logged me into Kubuntu.
First panic over - now all I have to do is:
- Apply the updates
- Get my wireless card working.
- Mount my shared drive and apply the shutdown fix.
- Install & configure Opera
- Install & configure Thunderbird
- Install & configure KeePassX...
Well, you get the idea...
Sources & References: