Sunday 5 June 2011

Blogilo

Somehow I managed to loose a whole draft post from blogger the other day - all of it!

I wouldn't have minded but it had taken several hours to compose (it wasn't even finished when disaster struck!) and, to make matters worse, I had no backup. In part I suspect that the problem was caused by my own incompetence and, in part, by the auto-save function in blogger but, whatever the cause, hours of work had been squandered by my own stupidity at not having a failsafe backup policy.

At the risk of appearing sanctimonious , I do try to learn from such experiences and I thought that it might not be a bad idea to find a better way of drafting long posts locally rather than tipping my thoughts straight into blogger - enter Blogilo.

"Blogilo is a Free/Open Source Blogging client, focused on simplicity and usability. Blogilo means “Blog Tool” in Esperanto."1

Blogilo can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Centre: just type Blogilo into the search box and click install.

The layout is intuitive with a Visual Editor window2, an html editor, a (a really nice touch) preview window.

So, in a sense, this post is an experiment to see if Blogilo can completely replace blogger's web-based dashboard (hence, the gratuitous use of superscript!). If it does, then perhaps some more posts on the utility of this program will be in order. Here goes!

Notes:
1 Source: Blogilo home page.
2 A WYSIWYG window.

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment