Thursday 14 July 2011

Keyping Safe

I've been doing a little bit of housekeeping today - catching up on those important/non-urgent tasks that never seem to get done.

One of the things that I've been meaning to find is a Linux replacement for Spb Wallet. I use this program a lot: I originally bought (yes, purchased!) it for my WinMob device, but I also used the desktop version extensively before I found my way to Ubuntu. Interestingly, the alternative that I settled on is a cross-platform application called KeePassX originally written for Windows in 2003.

The application has a good pedigree and it can be found in both the Mint and Ubuntu official software repositories.

Once the application is downloaded and installed, it can be opened from the Accessories menu.

It's got a nice (simple) interface for creating and using password databases and one really nice feature is that you can import .xml files (exported from other PC) so you don't have to recreate your password store from scratch on every machine!

If you have trouble remembering a multitude of passwords for online accounts, servers, hardware, and the seemingly endless other authentication requirements, this handy application might be just what you've been looking for.

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment