Sunday 24 April 2011

Spit and Polish - Adding Chrome

My upgrade to Maverick a week or so ago resulted in some time spent reconfiguring my setup. One of the things I've decided to try is the Chromium web browser to see how it compares to Firefox.

So far I confess to being somewhat ambivalent to the browser. There's no doubt that it's much (MUCH) faster than Firefox 4.0 and the page rendering is vastly superior, but I have found the interface to be less intuitive and user-friendly than Firefox. I suspect that it's a sign of (my) age when a new interface grates on the nerves of the user: after all, browsers are really just delivery vehicles and Chromium does focus the attention on the page content rather than the bling that surrounds the application! However, it took me a while to figure out rss feeds and bookmarks although, once I'd done my homework, importing data from Firefox was simplicity itself.

You can install Chromium in 10.04 and 10.10 from the Ubuntu Software Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment