Tuesday 3 June 2014

Mint 16: XServer Fails on Live Disk

I've been playing around with an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop but couldn't get the Mint 16 Live Disk to boot to the live desktop: from the welcome screen I could only get an error message that XServer had failed. The Amilo graphics are listed as VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP which require the OpenChrome video drivers in Ubuntu and its derivatives.

I have managed to get to a low resolution live desktop (using a USB Live Disk) by tweaking some guidance on the Linux Mint Forums:

From the Linux Mint Welcome screen, I selected Start Linux Mint and then hit Tab. The following code appears under the menu:

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Playing around with the options, I found that replacing the quiet splash -- element with nouveau.modeset=0 gave me the best result: booting without error to the low-res desktop. My code looked thus:

/casper/vmlinuz noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz nouveau.modeset=0

This code isn't persistent so it won't survive a reboot. However, the advice is that the kernel can be amended to make the change permanent after installation: but, as this isn't my system, I haven't tested that advice!

If you receive the XServer error after changing the code, simply restart X at the prompt:

startx

Then check to make sure that you're using the correct amendments for your graphics.

I've been worrying at this for several days and was about to give up so I'm pretty chuffed that I've got it resolved. That said, I'm not sure that the owner will want to go to the trouble of changing the system on hardware that is this ancient - time will tell!

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment