Wednesday 4 June 2014

By Popular Demand - Fixing On-Demand Video in Mint 16

After a brutal shift at work, all I wanted to do this afternoon was crash in front of the TV but I got home to find that I had no signal. So, I thought I'd catch up with some on-demand TV from Channel 5 but I couldn't get any video to play via Chromium on any of my Mint 16 systems.

A little research suggested that installing the (now deprecated) hardware abstraction layer (HAL) should get everything except Amazon Prime working. If I've understood the concept correctly, HAL is (more accurately, was) simply a generic way of allowing the OS to access the system hardware regardless of type: conceptually, I think of it as a universal translater! Installing it on Mint 16 is simple. First you need to close Chromium and add a new PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal

Next, install HAL:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hal

This was all that was needed on the DELL Dimension 8400, but I needed to reboot the Aluetia for the changes to take effect. It was worth it though, TV always looks better on a bigger screen!

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment