Saturday 29 January 2011

You've Got Mail

Now that I've restored the desktop version of Karmic to the DELL Inspiron, I've also added Thunderbird as my mail client and finally set up my email accounts on my laptop.

One of the nagging problems that I've experienced since opening a Gmail account is that I've only been able to download Google mail to one device. Of course, this hasn't been a problem with my laptop (as I've not been using it to download mail until today) but it has been with my iPAQ. If I download Gmail when I'm on the move, it doesn't subsequently download to my PC so I'm constantly switching between devices (or logging on to my online account) to find messages. Setting up the mail client on the laptop prompted me to explore this problem to see if there was a solution. As usual, it was only a problem because I didn't know what I was doing and it transpires that the solution is quite simple!

Google has a recent mode for its POP3 mail.

In your POP client settings, replace 'username@gmail.com' in the 'Username' or 'Email' field with 'recent:username@gmail.com'.

Once you enable recent mode, please be sure to configure your POP client to leave messages on the server...


You can follow the instructions at Google's support page if you're having the same problem.

Of course, I could have also set up the laptop as an IMAP client and achieved the same result! However, I've also learned that my personal email account (IMAP) can be forced to sync a certain amount of days worth of email (rather than the whole account which is several hundred messages and attachments) - amazing what you learn when you indulge your curiosity, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment