Sunday 24 June 2012

Skype 4.0



Skype has released a new version of its software for the Linux platform - Skype 4.0

There are a few changes worth noting:

  1. A new Conversations View where you can track all of your chats in a unified window.
  2. A new Call View.
  3. Improved call quality (about time!)
  4. Improved video call support

You should remove previous versions of Skype before installing the latest release:

sudo apt-get remove skype

The last kernel update nuked my preferences and I couldn't get Skype to use my webcam as the default sound input device. This latest version won't allow me to change my sound device from Pulse Audio either, but changing the input device in the sound menu seems to pick up the webcam automatically. This problem is widely discussed on the Internet and there is a fix, but it didn't work for me: implementing the steps killed all of my sound output and I had to reverse them to regain my system sounds!

To download the latest version of Skype, go to the Skype Downloads page or click on the link in the Sources & References section, below.

Sources & References:

No comments:

Post a Comment