Last month I blogged about installing Win98 using Virtualbox on Precise, so, for completeness, I thought I'd post the spec and a couple of pics.
Bear in mind that the primary role of this build is to run Win98; it's designed as a business machine and not a gaming rig! That said, it's running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Precise and the UEFI is tweaked for virtualization.
- Chassis - Xigmatek Asgard II
- CPU - Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Dual-Core
- Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155
- Memory - G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333
- PSU - OCZ CoreXStream 500W
- Wireless Card - TP-Link TL-WDN4800
- Optical Drive - LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
- Card Reader - Icy Box IB-864 Front Panel 3.5"
- Operating System - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise 64-bit
- Virtualization - VirtualBox
The case doesn't attract particulary good reviews (either on Amazon or PCPartPicker) but I really liked it. Cable management is actually easier than some of the reviews suggest but it does require some forethought. If I have a criticism, it's that the tool-less system doesn't hold the drives square in the drive bays. Adding a securing screw on the I/O side of the case helps, but this does defeat the object!
The PSU is virtually silent and is seriously over-powered for the designed purpose (more than twice the estimated power requirement!). However, it was on offer at the time of the build and it does add some future-proofing to the build - highly recommended!
The card reader required a header adapter (the USB3.0 internal connection is a standard usb connector). The adapter is a little loose in the header, but the connection appears sound enough and the system did survive the journey from workshop to customer.Sources & References:
- Xigmatek: Asgard II
- Gigabyte: GA-Z77-DS3H
- G.Skill: Home
- OCZ: CoreXStream 500W
- TP-Link: WDN4800
- Amazon: LG GH24NS95.AUAA 24x SATA SuperMulti Internal DVDRW Bulk
- Amazon: Icy Box IB-864 Front Panel for 3.5 inch Bay with Card Reader and Multiport Hub - USB 2.0 / 3.0
- Ubuntu: Home
- VirtualBox: Home