If you want to share a folder on your local network using Kubuntu (10.04), you'll need to install the kdenetwork-filesharing package.
Open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install kdenetwork-filesharing
Enter your password at the prompt.
To create your shared folder - in Dolphin:
- Right-click the folder that you want to share on your network.
- Select Properties from the pop-up menu.
- Click the Share tab.
- Click the Configure File Sharing... button.
- In the File Sharing - KDE Control Module, click Add...
- Enter the path (or browse) to your folder.
- Select the NFS and/or Samba options.
- Click OK three times to create your share.
Sources & References:
- Bigbrovar: My Perfect Kubuntu 10.04 Desktop